How to Grade Essay Questions
ProProfs Quiz Maker allows automatic grading of different question types, such as multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blanks, matching, etc. However, essay questions are manually graded by the instructor after evaluating the answer provided by the quiz taker.
In this case, the steps are:
1. The instructor views students’ answers online.
2. The instructor grades the solution online and assigns it a score.
3. They mark the grading as complete after grading all the answers.
4. The essay points are added, and the student’s final score is updated.
5. Instructors can send the student an updated report /certificate by clicking “Email Report to Student.” The updated report can also be downloaded.
Since the score is updated after adding essay grades, the instructor can also prevent students from seeing the interim (pre-grading) score.
This is what a quiz report will look like before and after grading essays.
1. Before grading-
2. After grading-
Benefits of manual grading, i.e., grading essay questions:
- Personalized feedback: Manual grading allows instructors to provide customized feedback on essay questions, helping learners to improve their understanding of the subject.
- Flexibility: Manual grading allows instructors to assign scores based on their grading criteria, allowing for a more nuanced evaluation of learners’ responses.
- Accuracy: Manual grading can be more accurate than automatic grading for certain types of questions, such as essays, where the answer may not be straightforward.
This article covers the following:
Step 1: Open a quiz report from the dashboard.
Step 2: Click the “View” icon under the Reports column to open the “User Score Report.”
Step 3: Go to “Grade Essays” to review essay answers and assign a score.
Step 4: Assign points, add feedback, and click Post & Next. You can also choose to notify the learner about the input.
Step 5: A preview of the updated score will appear. You can email the updated report to students.
When you click Email Report to Student, the dialog box will open. You can choose your preferred option and add a custom message to go with it.
Here’s what the updated result will look like after grading is complete.
You may only want quiz takers to see the report once you manually grade the essay or add bonus points. ProProfs Quiz Maker makes it easy to configure the release report.
1. Go to a quiz setting
2. Navigate to Advanced and locate Release Report.
3. Choose the “Manually, after essays are graded” option from the dropdown. You can also add a custom message to show at the end of the quiz in place of an interim score.
4. Save your changes, and you’re done.